Instructional materials Center
Cortical/Cerebral Visual Impairment (CVI)
Cortical visual impairment (CVI) is a form of visual impairment caused due to damage to the visual centers of the brain. Even though the child is looking at an object, the brain is unable to process the object. Louisiana has a list of disabilities that students are at the risk for CVI. Read the list
Planning to Support CVI
- Students Refer to Pupil Appraisal
- Parent Interview – May use the current LEA Parent interview.
- CVI Screener – performed at the beginning of the evaluation process. This screener is located in the “Health” section.
- Download CVI Screener
- Referred to Teaching Blind Student/Visually Impaired Teacher for Assessment
- Generate CVI Report
- Identify Phase
- Provide Instructional strategies
In Louisiana, BESE approved the updated Bulletin 1508 on March,2023. Update coming in July 2023.
CVI Range Score 0-3
The goal is to build consistent visual behaviors
- Single color (learner’s preferred color)
- Movement (or movement properties)
- Familiar object
- Paired with light
- Extend from eye to hand
CVI Range Score 3-7
The goal is to integrate vision with function
Use characteristics from Phase I
- Can view more than one color
- Movement (or movement properties) to initiate and occasionally sustain attention
- 3D preferred may begin to demonstrate eye to object contact with photograph of familiar toy
- Lighting paired with target
CVI Range Score 8-10
The goal is to facilitate refinement of the characteristics
- Color highlighting
- Movement not required at near
- Symbol books and pictures regarded
- Novel objects/images discriminated based on salient features
Roman Word Bubbling
Multiple small plastic animals on multi-colored camouflaged background
To search for the CVI books created by educators across Louisana, search on our website by the name of the book or by the phases.
Scaffolding Tool: Word Bubbling
Path to Literacy: A place where people across the world post a blog sharing their tips, strategies, and resources.
APH: A place where you can purchase tools and resources.
Meet Cindy Champagne